Friday, August 21, 2009

From the Archives--A Woman in Black Confession

"I confess

to my long time anti-war activity;



that I did not agree with the severe beatings of people of other enthnicities
and nationalities, faiths, races, sexual orientation;



that I was not present at the ceremonial act of throwing flowers on the tanks headed for Vukovar, 1991, and Prishtina, 1998;


that I fed women and children in the refugee camps, schools, churches and mosques;


that I sent packages for women and men in the basements of occupied Sarajevo in 1993, 1994, and 1995;


that for the entire year, I crossed the walls of Balkan ethno-states, because solidarity is the politics which interests me;


that I understand democracy as a support to anti-war activists/friends/sisters--Albanian women, Croat women, Roma women, stateless women;


that I first challenged the murderers from the state where I live and then those from other states because I consider this to be responsible political behaviour of a citizen;


that throughout all the seasons of the year, I insisted that there be an end to the slaughter, destruction, ethnic cleansing, forced evacuation of people and rape



that I took care of others while patriots took care of themselves.


from a Women in Black in Belgrade statement, October 9, 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment